rosi & gardner p.c. logo

Change of Schools?

Charter schools, both public and private, are making a substantial impact on the educational environment.  They provide yet another choice for seeking the best educational experience for your child.  Or, perhaps you want to move your child to a school closer to your new job.  But, what if your co-parent (ex-spouse) does not agree that your child should change schools?  Can you enroll your child in a different school?

If the school switch will not change the custodial environment, you may only have to show, by a preponderance of the evidence, that it is in the best interests of the child (considering the factors listed in MCL 722.23).  If, though, the change will cause a change in the custodial environment (such as by necessitating a change in parenting time), you will probably be required to establish, by clear and convincing evidence (a much higher standard), that the change is in the best interests of the child.

The following two tabs change content below.

Latest posts by Gary Gardner (see all)

Related Posts